Rose State College’s two-day writing Short Course, "The Writer in 2012: Navigating the Brave New World,” was held September 15 – 16 at the Rose State College campus in Oklahoma City, in the Professional Training Center.
New York Times bestselling author William Bernhardt, organizer, said the conference brought some of the nation's most successful writers and literary agents to Oklahoma to share their knowledge and expertise with attendees. Authors shared their secrets and techniques on the art and craft of writing, while the editors and agents addressed the business side of writing.
“That’s why I gave the program this title—Navigating the Brave New World,” Bernhardt said. “There are two tracks to the thing. One is a track about the art and craft of writing, for people who are writing but not sure where to go or how to start, and another is a track about the business of writing, for those who wonder if they need an agent, or need a publisher, or want to know if they can just upload their book and sell it online.”
A nationally bestselling author of twenty-nine books, Bernhardt began hosting an annual writing workshop in 2005. His nationally renowned writing seminars have educated numerous authors now published by major publishing houses. His published books include the acclaimed Ben Kincaid series (from Primary Justice in 1991 to Capitol Betrayal in 2011), Double Jeopardy, The Midnight Before Christmas, Nemesis: The Final Case of Eliot Ness, Dark Eye, two children’s books and two anthologies he edited to raise funds for The Nature Conservancy and The Children’s Legal Defense Fund.
In addition to Bernhardt, the conference faculty included:
• New York Times-bestselling author Phillip Margolin
• New York City-based literary agents Melissa Flashman (Trident Media) and Chris Kepner (Victoria Sanders Agency)
• Historian and voice actor (Cars and Cars 2) Michael Wallis
• Random House editor David Pomerico
• Professor Tim Tharp, author of “The Spectacular Now” and other young adult novels
• Literary fiction writer Rilla Askew
• Poet and performance artist Lauren Zuniga
• Author and teacher J Madison Davis
• Adventure fiction author Mel Odom
• Fiction and nonfiction author John Wooley
• Humorist Barry Friedman
• Author and editor Michael Mason
Wed, September 12, 2012
by Ben Fenwick