Campus Network Password Policy
In order to facilitate improved campus network security procedures now that we have moved to a single sign-on for access to all campus resources, a new policy went into effect in May 2004 for generating network passwords. The policy applies to all college employee network logons; student network accounts will not be effected by this change. At this time, passwords can only be changed while you are on campus.
The policy is as follows:
- The password will need to be changed every 120 days
- The password must meet the following criteria:
- A minimum of 8 characters and a maximum of 127 characters in length
- Contain three of the four following characteristics:
· Upper case A-Z
· Lower Case a-z
· Utilize numbers 0 through 9
· Non-Alphabetic characters (e.g. ! $ # & % *)
- Password CANNOT contain all or part of your username
- Upon changing a password, there is a 5-day waiting period prior to changing your password again.
- There is a five password history. (i.e. Your new password cannot be identical to your five previously used passwords.)
For some individuals, it is easier to remember a password if it is based on a familiar quote, favorite saying, etc. Also, swapping numbers or symbols for letters facilitates meeting the criteria.