Humanities Advisement


Welcome to Academic Advising in the Humanities Division. Our full-time academic advisor is here to help you navigate your degree requirements, understand academic policies and procedures, and utilize campus resources so that you may make the most of your Rose State College experience.

Our office is temporarily located in the Health and Environmental Science Building Room 200C, and we see students on a walk-in basis. Office hours vary by semester.  Please check the Humanities Division web page for current office hours.  

Humanities Division

Meet My Advisor

Jeff Conkin
(405) 733-7999

Ask an Advisor

Ask an Advisor 

The following are questions that students frequently ask concerning their academic career. If you have any further concerns, please email Humanities Academic Advisor Jeff Conkin at We are also here to help by calling (405) 733-7999 or stop by during regular office hours.

What is the difference between an Associate in Applied Science and an Associate in Arts or an Associate in Science?

The primary purpose of Associate in Applied Science degree programs is to prepare students for job entry or advancement; however, in many cases, many of the classes may be transferred to a four-year institution and applied to certain bachelor degree programs (RSC catalog, p. 49 and 50). The primary purpose of Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree programs is a general education foundation which prepares students to transfer to a college or university baccalaureate program.

What is my student classification?

Students with fewer than thirty (30) college credit hours are classified as freshmen. Students who have successfully completed thirty (30) or more college credit hours are classified as sophomores.

What is the difference between a “drop” and “withdrawal”?

Courses dropped before the posted deadline for the semester/session (usually within the first two weeks of the semester) will result in 100% tuition refund and the course(s) will not appear on the student’s official transcript. 

A student may withdraw from a course according to the following schedule:

 ·         Prior to the end of the 12th week in a 16-week session

 ·         Prior to the end of the 6th week in an 8-week session

 ·         Prior to the end of the 3rd week in a 4-week session

 ·         Prior to the last three class periods of an interim session

Please see the class schedule for the semester for a schedule of specific dates for that semester.

Can substitutions be made for required program courses?

Students should speak with the appropriate Division Academic Advisor for questions regarding course substitutions. Students are encouraged to bring with them the course description from the institution in which the course was originally taken for consideration.

How many credits do I need to take to be considered “full-time?

A student is considered full time when in enrolled in 12 or more credit hours during a sixteen week semester and 6 or more credit hours during an eight-week session. (Students enrolled in non-standard terms and receiving VA education benefits or Federal Financial Aid should check with the RSC VA or Financial Aid office concerning what constitutes full time according to VA or Federal regulations).

How do I change my major?

Students may change majors at any time during the semester. In order to change a major, students should go to the Student Services Academic Advisement Office, SSB 100, or to the appropriate Division Advisement Office to speak with an academic advisor.

I am not happy with the grade I received in a course. What is the procedure for challenging a course grade?

One of the functions of the Academic Grade Appeals Committee is to provide an opportunity for students to challenge a final grade, provided a solution cannot be reached through proper academic channels. Appeals for this purpose must be made within 90 days after the grade in question appears on the permanent record. Information concerning procedures to be followed is available from the Office of Academic Affairs in the Fine Arts Building.

Can I take courses at other colleges and transfer them to Rose State?

Transcripts of record from colleges or universities accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association or other regional accrediting associations will be given full value. Students wishing to transfer from an Oklahoma college to transfer to Rose State College may do so by submitting official transcripts from all institutions attended. Students may view transfer equivalency tables for Oklahoma public colleges and universities here.

Students wishing to transfer from an out-of-state college or university must submit official transcripts to Rose State College.

What is a course overload? How can I take one?

No student will be permitted to enroll in for in nineteen (19) semester hours without permission of the Vice President or Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs.

What do I do if I need to take a semester or year off?

A student who has missed two or more consecutive semesters at Rose State College must re-enter under the most current catalog.

I am having trouble in one or more of my courses. How can I find a tutor?

Rose State College will provide students with up to two (2) hours per week, per course, of free academic tutoring. Tutoring will be provided for all courses identified in the College Catalog as “required general education courses” and/or zero-level developmental courses. Information on tutoring can be found here.

I'd like some help with some personal issues. Is there anyone who can help?

Counseling is a confidential service on campus where you can talk with a licensed counselor when you are feeling depressed, lonely, confused, upset, or just plain stressed. Appointments can be made by calling (405) 733-7373 or vising the Special Service and Student Outreach Office, located in the Student Services Building, Room 101. For more information on counseling services, visit this link.

I suspect that I may have a learning disability. Who do I contact at Rose State College for help?

Anyone interested in more information concerning services for students with disabilities may call (405) 733-7407 or come by the Learning Resources Center/Library, Room 125, and talk with the Counselor for Students with Disabilities.  Rose State College's disability services

Still have questions?  

Contact an advisor by email at

Have questions about transferring? Please see the following links:

 ·         UCO Transfer Equivalency Tables

 ·         OU Transfer Equivalency Tables

 ·         Oklahoma public colleges and universities transfer equivalencies tables


Rose State College
6420 S.E. 15th Street.
Midwest City, OK 73110-2704
Phone: 405-733-ROSE (7673)
Toll Free: 866 621-0987

© Copyright 2015 Rose State College
All Rights Reserved
Designed by Element Fusion
Powered by Radium3