Physical and Mental Qualifications
Certain minimal physical and mental qualifications are necessary in order to perform the skills required of an allied dental student. In order to be considered for admission into and progression through the Rose State College Dental Assisting and Dental Hygiene Program, the student must have:
1. The motor ability necessary to ambulate independently in patient clinic operatory, laboratory and other work areas.
2. Visual acuity sufficient to observe and assess patient behavior, prepare instruments and accurately operate equipment.
3. Auditory acuity sufficient to hear instructions, requests, and monitor equipment.
4. The motor ability necessary to manipulate equipment and supplies and to utilize fine psychomotor skills for patient assessment and treatment.
5. The ability to speak, write, and comprehend the English language proficiently.
6. The ability to communicate in a professional manner and establish rapport with patients, peers, colleagues, and Program staff and personnel.
7. The ability to think critically and use problem-solving skills.
8. The ability to resolve conflicts appropriately and function effectively in stressful situations.
Rose State College will provide reasonable accommodations to persons with disabilities in order for students to have access to educational programs and services. Students with disabilities requiring accommodations should make the initial request for accommodation to the Counselor for Students with Disabilities. See RSC Student Handbook for details.