Program Goals and Outcomes
Mission StatementThe Medical Laboratory Technology/MLT Program is a community college based program providing education and training for career entry competencies in all general clinical laboratory areas and preparation for the successful completion of national board exams.
Program Goals & Competencies
- To safely collect, process, perform and report routine clinical laboratory tests on biological specimens and other substances, with precision and accuracy under minimal supervision within a reasonable length of time.
- To understand and apply the aspects of quality improvement related to the laboratory; performing and monitoring standard quality control methods and learning trouble shooting and problem solving in order to take corrective action as necessary.
- To recognize abnormal values and apply appropriate procedures.
- To correlate didactic instruction with laboratory results in the diagnosis and treatment of patients.
- To perform routine maintenance, standardization and calibration procedures.
- To use safety precautions whenever handling biohazard substances.
- To instill the concept of total patient care and the role of the laboratory in this concept.
- To communicate well with all levels of personnel.
- To demonstrate professional conduct, adhere to patient safety guidelines and to utilize appropriate communication skills.
- To practice within the profession’s ethical and legal framework by assuming responsibility and accountability for one’s own laboratory practice and continued professional and self-development.
Program Outcomes• 3-year Average Graduate Certification Pass Rates: 91%
• 3- year Average Graduation and Attrition Rates: 87%
• 3- year Average Graduate Placement Rates: 100%