Mental and Physical Qualifications
The following minimal physical and mental qualifications are necessary to be considered for admission into, and progression through, the Rose State College Respiratory Therapist Program:
- The ability to lift/carry up to 40 pounds and the ability to push/pull up to 200 pounds.
- The ability to move around in clients’ rooms and in work areas.
- The ability to stand/walk two-thirds of the time for the assigned shift (8 or 12 hours).
- Visual acuity sufficient to observe and assess client behavior, prepare and administer medications, and accurately read monitors.
- Auditory acuity sufficient to hear instructions, requests, and monitoring alarms, and to auscultate heart tones, and breath sounds.
- The motor ability necessary to manipulate equipment and supplies and to utilize palpation and percussion in client assessment.
- The ability to speak, write, and comprehend the English language proficiently.
- The ability to communicate in a professional manner and establish rapport with clients and colleagues.
- The ability to think critically and use problem-solving skills.
- The ability to resolve conflicts appropriately and function effectively in stressful situations.
Rose State College will provide reasonable accommodations to persons with disabilities in order for students to have access to educational programs and services. Students with disabilities requiring accommodations should make the initial request for accommodation to the Disability Services Office, LRC Room 125, or call (405) 733-7407. See the current RSC Student Handbook for further details.