An English degree is a versatile degree that will prepare graduates for a wide variety of jobs. Coursework emphasizes communication skills (a must for nearly every career) and will provide opportunities for students to hone research, analytical, and interpretive skills. English majors are challenged to be both critical and creative, to explore diverse topics, to master the English language, and to be sensitive to context.
The goal of the English Associate in Arts degree program is to prepare students to transfer to a four-year college or university to pursue a degree in English. The program includes Rose State College degree requirements and those courses generally completed in the first two years of a four-year English curriculum. It conforms to the articulation agreement among the state of Oklahoma two-year and four-year institutions of higher education.
Graduates from the English program will be able to do the following:
- Engage in critical reading of a variety of literary genres; recognize, understand, and explain various literary elements of texts.
- Demonstrate knowledge of British and American key authors, works, and literary periods; relate texts to the cultural, historical, and social context in which they were produced.
- Analyze and interpret texts based on both original ideas and literary theory.
- Write well-organized, thesis-driven literary argument papers; support ideas with explicit reasoning and textual evidence.
- Conduct research, evaluate secondary sources, and cite literary evidence using accurate MLA conventions.
- Demonstrate the ability to use complex language in a variety of contexts, both written and spoken.
- Examine how language and literature shapes one’s world view and deepens one’s personal insights.
- Exhibit a basic general foundation of the English language, history, government, science, math, and liberal arts appropriate for students transferring to a four-year institution.
In addition to teaching and writing for publication, English majors are well-suited to a number of other careers that require strong communication and analytical skills, including all of the following:
- Social Media Manager
- Technical Writer
- Public Relations
- Grant Writer
- Human Resources
- Fund Raising
Need help with a particular writing skill? Check out our free workshops. All workshops are held from 12:00-1:00 on Fridays in Humanities Room 137. No Sign-Up Required! View resources.
Rose State College and other Oklahoma colleges and universities have memorandums of understanding which identify course equivalencies between both institutions. These agreements aid transfer students. Transfer Agreements webpage