Types of Aid

Federal Grants

Grants are generally considered aid that you do not have to repay. Grants include Federal Pell Grant and FSEOG (Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant). These grants are available to students that have not earned a bachelor's degree (or equivalent).

Eligibility for the Federal Pell Grant is determined per the federal formula that calculates the expected family contribution (EFC).  Eligibility for FSEOG depends on availability of funds at the school and federal regulations require it go to the neediest students.  

The amount of Federal Pell Grant funds you may receive over your lifetime is limited by federal law to be the equivalent of six years of Pell Grant funding. Since the maximum amount of Federal Pell Grant funding you can receive each year is equal to 100%, the six-year equivalent is 600%. 

Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU): The U.S. Department of Education keeps track of your LEU by adding together the percentages of your Pell Grant scheduled awards that you received for each award year.

If your LEU equals or exceeds 600%, you may no longer receive Federal Pell Grant funding. You can log on to StudentAid.gov using your Federal Student Aid ID and view your LEU. The LEU will be found on the Financial Aid Review page.