The Scholars Program awards scholarships to eligible child care professionals to complete coursework in the area of child development or early childhood education and for the Child Development Associate (CDA) and Child Development Professional (CCP) Direct Assessment Application. Scholarships are available for:
- Coursework taken at community colleges leading toward: a CDA Credential, Certificate of Mastery, Director’s Certificate of Completion (directors, assistant directors, and family child care providers only), Associate in Arts or Science degree in child development or early childhood education, Director’s Certificate of Mastery (through OSU-OKC for directors, assistant directors and family child care providers) or an Associate in Applied Science degree in child care center management or administration (directors and assistant directors only).
- Early Education: Pathway to Your National Credential (a comprehensive CDA or CCP curriculum) coursework taken through technology centers leading toward the national CDA credential.
- CDA/CCP Direct Assessment Application.
An educational stipend is available upon completion of coursework and fulfillment of scholarship agreement and/or when CDA/CCP Credential is received.
Scholars for Excellence in Child Care
The Scholars for Excellence in Child Care (SECC) program ensures that eligible child care professionals in the state of Oklahoma have an opportunity to attend a community college to further their education while earning a Child Development Associate (CDA) Credential, Certificate of Mastery, Director's Certificate of Completion, and/or an associate degree in child development or early childhood education.
To qualify, child care providers must:
- Work in a one-star plus or above DHS- or tribal-licensed child care facility with a minimum of 10 percent subsidy children at time of application.
- Work as a teacher, director, or family child care provider at least 30 hours per week earning $15.50 or less per hour
- Be employed at a child care facility at least six months before beginning coursework.
- Once approved, be on a child development or early childhood education plan of study.
Benefits include support services and technical assistance from program coordinators, academic advisement, college credit for coursework and the opportunity to network with other child care professionals.
Some helpful links about SECC:
The Scholars Program also assists child care professionals in their education with REWARD Oklahoma. By advancing your child care career through higher education, you could receive a salary supplement from REWARD Oklahoma, if eligible. For more information, visit the links below or contact the Center for Early Childhood Professional Development (CECPD) at 888-446-7608 (toll free) or (405) 799-6383 (direct).