Federal Direct Loans


There are three types of Federal Direct Loans:

  • Subsidized Loan: the government pays the interest while the student is in college.
  • Unsubsidized Loan: the student is responsible for paying all interest on the loan, during and after college.
  • PLUS Loan: Parents may borrow for their children's college education under this program. The FAFSA form must be completed and parent must apply for PLUS loan on studentloans.gov

The National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) is the U.S. Department of Education's (ED's) central database for student aid. NSLDS receives data from schools, guaranty agencies, the Direct Loan program, and other Department of ED programs. NSLDS Student Access provides a centralized, integrated view of Title IV loans and grants so that recipients of Title IV Aid can access and inquire about their Title IV loans and/or grant data

Students who qualify may receive all three types of loans at the same time. 

Note: If you’re a first-year undergraduate student and a first-time borrower, you will have to wait 30 days after the first day of your enrollment period (semester, trimester, etc.) for your first disbursement.

Disclosure: All students entering into an agreement regarding a Title IV, HEA loan(s) will have information submitted to NSLDS and it will be accessible by authorized agencies, lenders and institutions. 

Accepting a Federal Direct Loan

Below are the instructions for how to Accept/Decline your awards:

How to Accept/Decline Loan Instructions

Here are some tools that may also help with understanding Federal Loans:

Rose State College’s most recent (fiscal year 2016) 3 year official Cohort Default Rate (CDR) is 18.7%. For more information regarding student loans and repayment information, please visit studentloans.gov 

Exit Counseling for Federal Loans

If you are graduating, dropping below half-time enrollment (below 6 credit hours), or are leaving Rose State College; you will need to complete Loan Exit Counseling. The student will need to print out a copy of the completion of the exit counseling and bring it to the Financial Aid Office. There will be another form at our office to fill out and turn in with the Loan Exit Counseling.